The world of media is always changing and over the last decade, podcasts have become a mainstream source of valuable information. There is a wide range of podcasts being created every day that talk about every realm of the world we live in. One of my favorite podcasts over the last few years has been the Joe Rogan Experience. Joe Rogan is an extremely popular Comedian, UFC Commentator and Podcaster who brings in a wide variety of guests to speak on his show for multiple hour sessions. The range of guests Joe speaks to include political leaders, scientists, athletes, comedians, lawyers and many more. The reason I enjoy his show so much is that Joe is a very curious and honest interviewer who wants to have meaningful conversations about issues that are not normally talked about in serious depth on other mainstream platforms. I find that being able to listen to these in-depth interviews allows me to expand my mind in ways that I never knew were possible. It allows me to hear detailed opinions from professionals in areas I may have thought differently on and shape a new way of thinking for myself.  Another reason I enjoy the podcast is because of Joe’s interest and honesty in every topic which creates this genuine, informative and fun conversation.

When starting a podcast, I would say that it is essential for you to make vast amounts of connections in other online spaces such as Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok, etc. To drive traffic to your podcast, you must generate interest in yourself by using other online avenues. By having a larger reach online in general, more and more people will be exposed to your content and you will be creating the trust and interest that will slowly build your credibility and following over time. When engaging on these other platforms, be sure to follow people who are in your interest group and engage in commentary in these groups, as this will exponentially expose you to people who are interested in your specific field.

As far as privacy is concerned, you must be careful of what you are posting and saying online as it is normally permanent. A big issue for podcasters who become influential in a space is that they get major backlash on certain opinions that others may not like. With that being said, you must be aware of the reach you are getting and realize the associated responsibility of this reach.

Reference

Woods, Bianca. “Building your own PLN: seeking new insights and ideas? Expand your personal learning network.” T+D, vol. 67, no. 11, Nov. 2013, p. 70+. Gale OneFile: Business, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A348998538/ITBC?u=uvictoria&sid=ITBC&xid=9daf4a31. Accessed 10 Oct. 2020.