Blog Post #4

How diverse is your existing PLN?

I would say my PLN is quite diverse but I’m always looking to add more people to my PLN. Growing up playing hockey provided me with many different contacts from all backgrounds. Having previous coaches, managers, parents, players, announcers and fans as contacts on different social media sites provides me with a diverse set of individuals to help with everything going on in life. I have also met a lot of students in my Economics program which allows me to reach out for help in school much easier than someone who hasn’t made these connections. There are also many people who I follow that I don’t know personally who teach lessons about life in general which helps with the overall learning process.

In your PLN, are you learning from a variety of voices or are you the loudest in the room?

Personally, I do a lot of listening when it comes to my PLN but I am starting to vocalize my opinions more. As I have been listening over the years, I have been taking in vast amounts of information which has let me fine tune my ideologies and now I am able to express opinions much easier.

Do you participate in a silo of information sharing (similar themes or wide-range of interests)?

There are quite a wide range of topics that I am interested in, but I don’t let my focus get to thinned out. The main topics of conversation that I am involved in include, economics, business, MMA and hockey but I always allow myself to venture out into other areas for exploration.

How can you use a diverse PLN to broaden your views of inclusion?

Having a diverse PLN will allow you to hear many different opinions and see issues from sides that you may not have thought about prior.

What is the learning outcome of your PLN and how are you ensuring your exposure to diversity and inclusion?

The learning outcome of my PLN is very beneficial because the learning is less structured and more fun than sitting in a classroom for an allotted period of time. I am ensuring my exposure to inclusion and diversity by being listening deeply and really considering all of the information presented before making rash ideological claims and or decisions.

How has your thinking about inclusion and PLN evolved after reviewing the videos and readings?

I have never really thought deeply on the concept of open learning and how social media can help in general learning, but now I am fully conscious on the benefits. I feel I will definitely start to clean up my social media platforms and add contacts that are going to help me learn more as a human being. I will also try to contribute as much content as I can to my PLN because adding value to your followers will contribute to the overall power of the PLN.

https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/lib/uvic/reader.action?docID=4832579&ppg=6

1. jessemiller

Good personal reflection in this post. I encourage you to share with your group and ask for commentary.